April 22, 2010

This is a photograph of me

This is a photograph of me

It was taken from the future
and must be returned.

It will appear old,
waterlogged, with grey stains,
and when you touch it you will feel
rips and folds
and a scar
running through you like the branch of a river
funneling
between hills, culverts,
beneath a neglected highway,
bypassing a riotous retirement community,
before blooming
lethargically,
without finality,
in a shallow, weed-clogged lake.

(The photograph was taken 
from the future
in which I am soaking

just below the surface.

There is,
as you say
in your ancient, ardent language,
a distortion in the space/time continuum

but I know your microscopes
are expensive, extensive
and carefully calibrated:
You will look
long enough to spot me

watching you: my eyes
poking through
like a frog.)

2 comments:

  1. I like your reflection on Margaret
    Atwood's poem, this is a photograph of me.
    keep it on man you have talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of my favourite poems of all time

    ReplyDelete